2020 Indianapolis 500 postponed until August due to the coronavirus outbreak


The Indianapolis 500 has been postponed until August in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak. The annual race is now scheduled to take place on August 23 rather than the previously scheduled May 24 date.

It marks the first time since 1946 that the Indianapolis 500 won’t be run on Memorial Day weekend.

“The month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is my favorite time of year, and like our fans, I am disappointed that we have had to reschedule the Indianapolis 500,” Roger Penske said in a statement released by Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

[T]he health and safety of our event participants and spectators is our top priority, and we believe that postponing the event is the responsible decision with the conditions and restrictions we are facing,” he said. “We will continue to focus on ways we can enhance the customer experience in the months ahead, and I’m confident we will welcome fans with a transformed facility and a global spectacle when we run the world’s greatest race.

The Indianapolis 500 has been a fixture since its inception in 1911. However, there have been seven other years in which the iconic race didn’t take place with all of them being due to World Wars I and II.

French driver Simon Pagenaud won the Indianapolis 500 in 2019 and it marked the ninth consecutive year that there was not a repeat winner.





Source link

0 Reviews

Write a Review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *