As a rule, I’d say you should not be streaming in the Fantasy championships. But a couple of things might change that. The obvious one is that with the boom in COVID cases in the NFL over the past month, you may not have a choice. The Colts placement of Carson Wentz on the COVID-IR on Tuesday illustrates that you need to carry two quarterbacks all the way through Sunday morning. The second is that Jimmy Garoppolo suffered a hand injury in Week 16 and his status is in doubt. And when you look at the projections below you’ll see how much they love Trey Lance.
Lance played one and a half games earlier in the year against the Seahawks and Cardinals. In those games, he threw for 349 yards and two touchdowns while running 23 times for 130 yards. In Week 17, if Garoppolo is out, Lance will face the Houston Texans in a game where his 49ers have an implied point total of 28.5.
Running quarterbacks always project well, just because of the floor and upside that extra production gives them. But I wouldn’t rank him quite as high as his projection below, largely because he has so little experience in the NFL (and college for that matter) and we’ve seen just how bad rookie passers can be.
Let’s get to the rest of the Week 17 preview:
Please check the opt-in box to acknowledge that you would like to subscribe.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Week 17 QB Preview
Numbers to know
- 16 — Lance had 16 rush attempts in his lone start this season.
- 20 — Dak Prescott has thrown 20 touchdown passes in seven home hames and just nine in seven road games.
- 13 — Justin Herbert is the only quarterback to score more than 13 Fantasy points against the Chiefs since Week 10.
- 26.6 — The Washington Football team has allowed 26.6 Fantasy points per game to quarterbacks, almost four more points than any other defense.
- 621 — Josh Johnson has thrown for 621 yards in his two starts this season.
Matchups that matter
Waiver Wire Targets