Michigan State @ Northwestern
Current Records: Michigan State 11-2; Northwestern 8-2
What to Know
The #10 Michigan State Spartans and the Northwestern Wildcats are set to square off in a Big Ten matchup at 2 p.m. ET Jan. 2 at Welsh-Ryan Arena. These two teams come into the contest bolstered by wins in their previous games.
This past Wednesday, MSU wrapped up 2021 with an 81-68 win over the High Point Panthers. Forward Joey Hauser and forward Gabe Brown were among the main playmakers for the Spartans as the former dropped a double-double on 17 points and 11 rebounds and the latter shot 6-for-13 from downtown and finished with 24 points and seven boards.
Meanwhile, the sound you heard two weeks ago was the absolute smackdown Northwestern laid on the Illinois-Springfield Prairie Stars.
Barring any buzzer beaters, MSU is expected to win a tight contest Sunday. Those burned by picking them against the spread this past Wednesday might want to keep in mind that the squad has not yet dropped back-to-back games against the spread this season.
The wins brought MSU up to 11-2 and Northwestern to 8-2. Two stats to keep in the back of your head while watching: The Spartans are stumbling into the game with the 36th fewest takeaways in college basketball, having accrued only 11.3 on average. To make matters even worse for MSU, the Wildcats rank fourth in college basketball when it comes to turnovers per game, with only 8.7 on average. Maybe that strength will give Northwestern the oomph they need to beat the odds.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 2 p.m. ET
- Where: Welsh-Ryan Arena — Evanston, Illinois
- TV: Big Ten Network
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $94.49
The Spartans are a 3-point favorite against the Wildcats, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The line has drifted a bit towards the Spartans, as the game opened with the Spartans as a 1.5-point favorite.
Michigan State have won six out of their last seven games against Northwestern.
- Dec 20, 2020 – Northwestern 79 vs. Michigan State 65
- Jan 29, 2020 – Michigan State 79 vs. Northwestern 50
- Dec 18, 2019 – Michigan State 77 vs. Northwestern 72
- Jan 02, 2019 – Michigan State 81 vs. Northwestern 55
- Feb 17, 2018 – Michigan State 65 vs. Northwestern 60
- Dec 30, 2016 – Michigan State 61 vs. Northwestern 52
- Jan 28, 2016 – Michigan State 76 vs. Northwestern 45
Injury Report for Northwestern
No Injury Information
Injury Report for Michigan State
- Marcus Bingham Jr.: Game-Time Decision (Illness)
- Max Christie: Game-Time Decision (Not Injury Related)