Illinois State @ Valparaiso
Current Records: Illinois State 8-6; Valparaiso 6-6
What to Know
The Valparaiso Brown and Gold are 7-1 against the Illinois State Redbirds since January of 2018, and they’ll have a chance to extend that success Sunday. Valpo has the luxury of staying home another game and will welcome Illinois State at 2 p.m. ET Jan. 2 at Athletics-Recreation Center. The Brown and Gold won both of their matches against the Redbirds last season (69-60 and 70-66) and are aiming for the same result this time around.
Everything went Valpo’s way against the William & Mary Tribe two weeks ago as they made off with an 88-66 win.
Meanwhile, it was close but no cigar for Illinois State as they fell 89-85 to the Wisconsin Badgers this past Wednesday. Forward Sy Chatman put forth a good effort for the losing side as he had 22 points in addition to seven boards.
Valpo is the favorite in this one, with an expected 5.5-point margin of victory. They are currently two-for-two against the spread in their most recent games, a trend bettors might want to take into account.
Valparaiso’s victory lifted them to 6-6 while Illinois State’s defeat dropped them down to 8-6. We’ll see if the Brown and Gold can repeat their recent success or if the Redbirds bounce back and reverse their fortune.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 2 p.m. ET
- Where: Athletics-Recreation Center — Valparaiso, Indiana
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Brown and Gold are a solid 5.5-point favorite against the Redbirds, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The line has drifted a bit towards the Brown and Gold, as the game opened with the Brown and Gold as a 3.5-point favorite.
Valparaiso have won seven out of their last eight games against Illinois State.
- Jan 24, 2021 – Valparaiso 70 vs. Illinois State 66
- Jan 23, 2021 – Valparaiso 69 vs. Illinois State 60
- Feb 15, 2020 – Valparaiso 65 vs. Illinois State 62
- Feb 01, 2020 – Valparaiso 80 vs. Illinois State 70
- Feb 05, 2019 – Valparaiso 69 vs. Illinois State 53
- Jan 02, 2019 – Valparaiso 58 vs. Illinois State 56
- Feb 11, 2018 – Valparaiso 74 vs. Illinois State 58
- Jan 27, 2018 – Illinois State 76 vs. Valparaiso 65
Injury Report for Valparaiso
- Joe Hedstrom: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Emil Freese-Vilien: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Keyondre Young: Game-Time Decision (Hand)
Injury Report for Illinois State
- Mark Freeman: Game-Time Decision (Ankle)
- Howard Fleming Jr.: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)