Michigan State @ Northwestern
Current Records: Michigan State 11-2; Northwestern 8-2
What to Know
The #10 Michigan State Spartans and the Northwestern Wildcats are set to square off in a Big Ten matchup at 2 p.m. ET Jan. 2 at Welsh-Ryan Arena. These two teams come into the matchup bolstered by wins in their previous games.
On Wednesday, the Spartans wrapped up 2021 with an 81-68 win over the High Point Panthers. Forward Joey Hauser and forward Gabe Brown were among the main playmakers for MSU as the former posted a double-double on 17 points and 11 boards and the latter shot 6-for-13 from downtown and finished with 24 points and seven rebounds.
Meanwhile, everything came up roses for Northwestern at home against the Illinois-Springfield Prairie Stars last Monday as the squad secured a 90-50 victory.
MSU is now 11-2 while Northwestern sits at 8-2. Two numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: MSU is 36th worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 11.3 on average. To make matters even worse for the Spartans, the Wildcats enter the contest with only 8.7 turnovers per game on average, good for fourth best in college basketball.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 2 p.m. ET
- Where: Welsh-Ryan Arena — Evanston, Illinois
- TV: Big Ten Network
- Follow: CBS Sports App
Michigan State have won six out of their last seven games against Northwestern.
- Dec 20, 2020 – Northwestern 79 vs. Michigan State 65
- Jan 29, 2020 – Michigan State 79 vs. Northwestern 50
- Dec 18, 2019 – Michigan State 77 vs. Northwestern 72
- Jan 02, 2019 – Michigan State 81 vs. Northwestern 55
- Feb 17, 2018 – Michigan State 65 vs. Northwestern 60
- Dec 30, 2016 – Michigan State 61 vs. Northwestern 52
- Jan 28, 2016 – Michigan State 76 vs. Northwestern 45