Valparaiso @ Northern Iowa
Current Records: Valparaiso 8-6; Northern Iowa 5-7
What to Know
The Valparaiso Beacons are 2-6 against the Northern Iowa Panthers since January of 2018, but they’ll have a chance to close the gap a little bit on Wednesday. Valpo and Northern Iowa will face off in a Missouri Valley battle at 9 p.m. ET at McLeod Center. The teams split their matchups last year, with the Beacons winning the first 70-57 and Northern Iowa taking the second 74-60.
The Illinois State Redbirds typically have all the answers at home, but on Sunday Valpo proved too difficult a challenge. Valpo managed an 81-76 victory over the Redbirds. Valpo relied on the efforts of guard Eron Gordon, who had 13 points in addition to eight rebounds, and guard Trevor Anderson, who had 14 points and six assists.
Meanwhile, the Panthers made easy work of the Evansville Aces on Sunday and carried off an 83-61 win. Northern Iowa’s success was spearheaded by the efforts of guard AJ Green, who had 18 points and five assists, and guard Trae Berhow, who had 16 points along with six boards. Green had some trouble finding his footing against the Wyoming Cowboys two weeks ago, so this was a step in the right direction.
Valpo is expected to lose this next one by 7.5. Those playing the odds have seen things go back and forth with Valpo, who are 6-6 against the spread.
The wins brought Valpo up to 8-6 and the Panthers to 5-7. A couple stats to keep an eye on: The Beacons come into the contest boasting the 25th fewest turnovers per game in college basketball at 10.6. Less enviably, Northern Iowa is stumbling into the game with the 21st fewest takeaways in college basketball, having accrued only 10.8 on average.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: McLeod Center — Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $27.48
The Panthers are a big 7.5-point favorite against the Beacons, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 7.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Northern Iowa have won six out of their last eight games against Valparaiso.
- Feb 14, 2021 – Northern Iowa 74 vs. Valparaiso 60
- Feb 13, 2021 – Valparaiso 70 vs. Northern Iowa 57
- Feb 05, 2020 – Northern Iowa 63 vs. Valparaiso 51
- Jan 15, 2020 – Northern Iowa 88 vs. Valparaiso 78
- Feb 23, 2019 – Northern Iowa 64 vs. Valparaiso 53
- Jan 19, 2019 – Valparaiso 75 vs. Northern Iowa 66
- Feb 20, 2018 – Northern Iowa 68 vs. Valparaiso 63
- Jan 13, 2018 – Northern Iowa 81 vs. Valparaiso 76
Injury Report for Northern Iowa
No Injury Information
Injury Report for Valparaiso
- Emil Freese-Vilien: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Keyondre Young: Game-Time Decision (Hand)
- Thomas Kithier: Out (Illness)
- Trey Woodyard: Out (Illness)