North Carolina @ Notre Dame
Current Records: North Carolina 10-3; Notre Dame 7-5
What to Know
The North Carolina Tar Heels are 9-2 against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish since February of 2016, and they’ll have a chance to extend that success on Wednesday. UNC and Notre Dame will face off in an ACC battle at 9 p.m. ET at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. The Tar Heels won both of their matches against Notre Dame last season (66-65 and 101-59) and are aiming for the same result this time around.
UNC took their game against the Boston College Eagles on Sunday by a conclusive 91-65 score. Forward Armando Bacot and guard Caleb Love were among the main playmakers for UNC as the former dropped a double-double on 18 points and 11 rebounds and the latter had 22 points. That makes it four consecutive games in which Bacot has had at least ten rebounds.
Meanwhile, the Fighting Irish escaped with a win last Tuesday against the Pittsburgh Panthers by the margin of a single free throw, 68-67. Notre Dame got double-digit scores from four players: forward Paul Atkinson (16), guard Prentiss Hubb (15), guard Blake Wesley (12), and guard Dane Goodwin (11).
Barring any buzzer beaters, the Tar Heels are expected to win a tight contest. They might be worth taking a chance on against the spread as they are currently on a two-game streak of ATS wins.
UNC is now 10-3 while Notre Dame sits at 7-5. Two numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: UNC is 351st worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 9.9 on average. The Fighting Irishes have had an even harder time: they are stumbling into the matchup with the 32nd fewest takeaways in college basketball, having accrued only 11.1 on average. It’s possible one of these Achilles’ heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center — Notre Dame, Indiana
- TV: ESPN2
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $47.00
The Tar Heels are a slight 2-point favorite against the Fighting Irish, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Tar Heels as a 2.5-point favorite.
North Carolina have won nine out of their last 11 games against Notre Dame.
- Mar 10, 2021 – North Carolina 101 vs. Notre Dame 59
- Jan 02, 2021 – North Carolina 66 vs. Notre Dame 65
- Feb 17, 2020 – Notre Dame 77 vs. North Carolina 76
- Nov 06, 2019 – North Carolina 76 vs. Notre Dame 65
- Jan 15, 2019 – North Carolina 75 vs. Notre Dame 69
- Feb 12, 2018 – North Carolina 83 vs. Notre Dame 66
- Jan 13, 2018 – North Carolina 69 vs. Notre Dame 68
- Feb 05, 2017 – North Carolina 83 vs. Notre Dame 76
- Mar 27, 2016 – North Carolina 88 vs. Notre Dame 74
- Mar 11, 2016 – North Carolina 78 vs. Notre Dame 47
- Feb 06, 2016 – Notre Dame 80 vs. North Carolina 76
Injury Report for Notre Dame
- Robby Carmody: Out (Kneecap)
Injury Report for North Carolina
- Puff Johnson: Game-Time Decision (Hip)
- Justin McKoy: Out (Illness)
- Kerwin Walton: Out (Undisclosed)
- Dawson Garcia: Out (Concussion)