As leagues return from winter break, we’re getting closer to a full slate of weekend matches. Premier League sides enter the FA Cup and the Africa Cup of Nations will also get underway on Sunday. This gives this weekend something for everybody. Prefer seeing matches that you won’t see often? Then the FA Cup’s for you. Are knockout international tournaments where the world’s best come together to compete more your speed? Then AFCON is for you. Let’s get to the matches.
5. West Bromwich Albion vs. Brighton & Hove Albion
Date: Saturday, Jan. 8 | Time: 10:00 a.m. ET
Live stream: ESPN+
Why watch: After his move to West Brom, this could be a debut match for Daryl Dike and what’s even better is that it will be a test against Premier League opposition in the FA Cup. As West Brom chases promotion to the top flight, a clash with one of the best Premier League defenses in Brighton will be a good test for them as well. West Brom is winless in their last three matches while Brighton has won two of their last three and drawn the other.
4. Real Madrid vs. Valencia
Date: Saturday, Jan. 8 | Time: 3:00 p.m. ET
Live stream: ESPN+
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Real Madrid -280; Draw +400; Valencia +750
Why watch: Real Madrid look to widen their gap atop the league where they currently hold a five-point advantage over Sevilla. Valencia has been in good form but they’ll be tested in this trip where they’ll need a result to set their eyes on a Champions League spot in Spain. With Valencia having one of the worst defenses in the league, this could end up with Real scoring quite a few as they’ve bagged nine goals more than the next best attack in La Liga.
3. Roma vs. Juventus
Date: Sunday, Jan. 9 | Time: 12:30 p.m. ET
Live stream: (Paramount+)
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Roma +230; Draw +250; Juventus +116
Why watch: Roma must rebound from a midweek loss that saw them finish with only nine men on the pitch. Rick Karsdorp and Gianluca Mancini will be suspended for the match after picking up second yellow cards for reckless challenges. While Tammy Abraham has been in good form, his teammates are struggling to match him. For Juventus, they created a ton of chances in their draw with Napoli but were unable to apply the finishing touch to see the match out. That will be needed as they travel to Stadio Olimpico.
2. Olympique Lyon vs. PSG
Date: Sunday, Jan. 9 | Time: 2:45 p.m. ET
TV: beIN Sports | Live stream: fuboTV (Try for free)
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Lyon +265; Draw +300; PSG -112
Why watch: PSG have been dealing with a COVID outbreak as Lionel Messi, Angel Di Maria, and other members of the squad have tested positive, but the game should be able to go ahead. Messi is back in Paris after registering a negative test but it is unknown if he will be involved against Lyon yet. Lyon has struggled this season and sit 13th in the table after three consecutive draws. They’ll have to get their season on track as soon as possible and showing fight versus PSG would help do that.
1. Hoffenheim vs. Augsburg
Date: Saturday, Jan. 8 | Time: 9:30 a.m. ET
Live stream: ESPN+
Caesars Sportsbook Odds: Hoffenheim -175; Draw +333; Augsburg +450
Why watch: As Hoffenheim chase a European spot, they’ll be up against an Augsburg side that has new hope after the addition of Ricardo Pepi to the squad. While he may not start this one, the team has made it clear that Pepi will be relied on to keep them out of the relegation zone. In tracking American’s abroad, this will be an important first game after the winter break to see what Augsburg is about.
(All times U.S./Eastern)
Friday, Jan. 7: A game to watch in …
- Germany: Bayern Munich vs. Borussia Monchengladbach, 2:30 p.m. (ESPN+)
- France: Bordeaux vs. Marseille 3 p.m. (fuboTV — Try for free)
- England: Swindon Town vs. Manchester City, 3 p.m. (ESPN+)
Saturday, Jan. 8: A game to watch in …
- England: Chelsea vs. Chesterfield, 10 a.m. (ESPN+)
- Spain: Granada vs. Barcelona, 12:30 p.m. (ESPN+)
- Germany: RB Leipzig vs. Mainz 05, 9:30 .m. (ESPN+)
- France: Lens vs. Rennes 3 p.m. (beIN Sports and fuboTV — Try for free)
- Mexico: Cruz Azul vs. Tijuana, 10 p.m. (fuboTV — Try for free)
Sunday, Jan. 9: A game to watch in …
- England: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Sheffield United, 9 a.m. (ESPN+)
- Spain: Sevilla vs. Getafe, 10:15 a.m. (ESPN+)
- Italy: Inter Milan vs. Lazio, 2:45 p.m. (Paramount+)
- Germany: Hertha vs. Koln, 9:30 a.m. (ESPN+)
- France: Nantes vs. Monaco, 11:05 a.m. (beIN Sports and fuboTV — Try for free)
- Mexico: Pumas vs. Toluca, 1 p.m. (fuboTV — Try for free)
- AFCON: Cameroon vs. Burkina Faso, 11 a.m. (fuboTV — Try for free)