UCLA @ California
Current Records: UCLA 9-1; California 9-6
What to Know
The California Golden Bears are 1-8 against the #5 UCLA Bruins since February of 2016, but they’ll have a chance to close the gap a little bit this past Saturday. California and the Bruins will face off in a Pac-12 battle at 8 p.m. ET at Haas Pavilion. UCLA will be strutting in after a victory while California will be stumbling in from a defeat.
The contest between California and the Southern California Trojans this past Thursday was not a total blowout, but with California falling 77-63 at home, it was darn close to turning into one. The Golden Bears got double-digit scores from four players: forward Grant Anticevich (19), guard Jordan Shepherd (17), forward Andre Kelly (13), and guard Jalen Celestine (10).
Meanwhile, while not quite a landslide, the game between UCLA and the Long Beach State Beach this past Thursday was still a pretty decisive one as UCLA wrapped it up with a 96-78 win at home. UCLA can attribute much of their success to guard Jules Bernard, who had 22 points and five assists.
California is expected to lose this next one by 8.5. Those burned by picking them against the spread this past Thursday might want to keep in mind that the team has not yet dropped back-to-back games against the spread this season.
California is now 9-6 while the Bruins sit at 9-1. A pair of numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: The Golden Bears are worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 10.1 on average. To make matters even worse for California, UCLA ranks 11th in college basketball when it comes to turnovers per game, with only 9.7 on average. So the cards are definitely stacked in UCLA’s favor.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Haas Pavilion — Berkeley, California
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Bruins are a big 8.5-point favorite against the Golden Bears, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Bruins as a 9-point favorite.
UCLA have won eight out of their last nine games against California.
- Jan 21, 2021 – UCLA 61 vs. California 57
- Dec 06, 2020 – UCLA 76 vs. California 56
- Jan 19, 2020 – UCLA 50 vs. California 40
- Feb 13, 2019 – UCLA 75 vs. California 67
- Jan 05, 2019 – UCLA 98 vs. California 83
- Jan 25, 2018 – UCLA 70 vs. California 57
- Jan 06, 2018 – UCLA 107 vs. California 84
- Jan 05, 2017 – UCLA 81 vs. California 71
- Feb 25, 2016 – California 75 vs. UCLA 63
Injury Report for California
- D.J. Thorpe: Out for the Season (Undisclosed)
- Monty Bowser: Out for the Season (Ankle)
Injury Report for UCLA
- Jaime Jaquez Jr.: Game-Time Decision (Ankle)
- Mac Etienne: Out for the Season (Undisclosed)
- Will McClendon: Out for the Season (Knee)