Elon @ College of Charleston
Current Records: Elon 4-10; College of Charleston 8-5
What to Know
The Elon Phoenix and the College of Charleston Cougars will face off in a Colonial clash at 4 p.m. ET Jan. 9 at TD Arena. The teams split their matchups last year, with College of Charleston winning the first 71-53 at home on the road and the Phoenix taking the second 66-55.
Two weeks ago, Elon wrapped up 2021 with a 79-62 victory over the Northeastern Huskies. Elon can attribute much of their success to guard Darius Burford, who had 23 points in addition to five boards.
Meanwhile, College of Charleston was just a bucket shy of a win two weeks ago and fell 67-66 to the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens. Despite the defeat, College of Charleston had strong showings from forward Osinachi Smart, who dropped a double-double on 11 points and ten rebounds, and forward John Meeks, who had 17 points along with five rebounds.
The Phoenix have to know they’ll be fighting an uphill battle given the 10 point spread they are up against. True fans might be the only ones betting on them, currently 4-8 ATS, to cover the spread.
Elon is now 4-10 while the Cougars sit at 8-5. A couple defensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: Elon is stumbling into the matchup with the 27th most points allowed per game in college basketball, having given up 76.1 on average. College of Charlestons have had an even harder time: they are 14th worst in college basketball in points allowed per game, with 77.6 on average. It’s possible one of these Achilles’ heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 4 p.m. ET
- Where: TD Arena — Charleston, South Carolina
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Cougars are a big 10-point favorite against the Phoenix, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 10-point spread, and stayed right there.
College of Charleston have won eight out of their last 12 games against Elon.
- Feb 14, 2021 – Elon 66 vs. College of Charleston 55
- Feb 13, 2021 – College of Charleston 71 vs. Elon 53
- Feb 08, 2020 – Elon 72 vs. College of Charleston 65
- Jan 09, 2020 – College of Charleston 73 vs. Elon 65
- Feb 23, 2019 – College of Charleston 84 vs. Elon 74
- Jan 24, 2019 – College of Charleston 72 vs. Elon 53
- Feb 22, 2018 – College of Charleston 79 vs. Elon 58
- Jan 13, 2018 – Elon 63 vs. College of Charleston 58
- Feb 04, 2017 – College of Charleston 71 vs. Elon 58
- Dec 31, 2016 – College of Charleston 66 vs. Elon 54
- Feb 13, 2016 – College of Charleston 66 vs. Elon 62
- Jan 16, 2016 – Elon 65 vs. College of Charleston 64
Injury Report for College of Charleston
- Nick Farrar: Game-Time Decision (Illness)
- Keegan Harvey: Out for the Season (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for Elon
No Injury Information