Virginia @ Pittsburgh
Current Records: Virginia 10-7; Pittsburgh 7-10
What to Know
The Pittsburgh Panthers are 1-8 against the Virginia Cavaliers since February of 2016, but they’ll have a chance to close the gap a little bit on Wednesday. Pitt and Virginia will face off in an ACC battle at 9 p.m. ET at Petersen Events Center. Both teams looked pretty sloppy on the offensive side of the ball the last time they faced off, scoring just 113 points combined.
The Panthers didn’t have too much trouble with the Louisville Cardinals at home on Saturday as they won 65-53. Pitt relied on the efforts of guard Jamarius Burton, who had 20 points along with eight rebounds, and forward John Hugley, who had 19 points in addition to seven boards. Hugley had some trouble finding his footing against the Syracuse Orange last week, so this was a step in the right direction.
Meanwhile, Virginia came up short against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons on Saturday, falling 63-55. Forward Jayden Gardner had a pretty forgettable game, playing for 27 minutes but putting up just nine points on 3-for-14 shooting.
Pitt is expected to lose this next one by 3.5. However, those who like betting on the underdog should be happy to hear that they are 8-2 against the spread when expected to lose.
The Panthers’ victory brought them up to 7-10 while the Cavaliers’ loss pulled them down to 10-7. A pair of stats to keep in the back of your head while watching: Pitt is 14th worst in college basketball in points per game, with only 62.5 on average. Virginia’s defense has more to brag about, as they they rank 10th in college basketball when it comes to points allowed per game, with only 58.6 on average. So the cards are definitely stacked in their favor.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Petersen Events Center — Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- TV: ACC Network
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $15.00
The Cavaliers are a 3.5-point favorite against the Panthers, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 3.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Virginia have won eight out of their last nine games against Pittsburgh.
- Dec 03, 2021 – Virginia 57 vs. Pittsburgh 56
- Feb 06, 2021 – Virginia 73 vs. Pittsburgh 66
- Feb 22, 2020 – Virginia 59 vs. Pittsburgh 56
- Mar 02, 2019 – Virginia 73 vs. Pittsburgh 49
- Feb 24, 2018 – Virginia 66 vs. Pittsburgh 37
- Mar 08, 2017 – Virginia 75 vs. Pittsburgh 63
- Mar 04, 2017 – Virginia 67 vs. Pittsburgh 42
- Jan 04, 2017 – Pittsburgh 88 vs. Virginia 76
- Feb 06, 2016 – Virginia 64 vs. Pittsburgh 50
Injury Report for Pittsburgh
- Dan Oladapo: Game-Time Decision (Illness)
- Ithiel Horton: Game-Time Decision (Suspension)
- Nike Sibande: Out for the Season (Knee)
Injury Report for Virginia
No Injury Information