Portland @ Brigham Young
Current Records: Portland 10-8; Brigham Young 16-4
What to Know
The Portland Pilots haven’t won a contest against the Brigham Young Cougars since Jan. 16 of 2016, but they’ll be looking to end the drought this past Saturday. Portland and BYU will face off in a West Coast battle at 9 p.m. ET at Marriott Center. The Cougars will be strutting in after a win while Portland will be stumbling in from a loss.
The matchup between Portland and the Loyola Marymount Lions last Monday was not particularly close, with Portland falling 70-58. Guard Chris Austin (16 points), guard Mike Meadows (16 points), and forward Chika Nduka (16 points) were the top scorers for the Pilots.
Meanwhile, the San Diego Toreros typically have all the answers at home, but this past Thursday BYU proved too difficult a challenge. BYU beat San Diego 79-71. BYU got double-digit scores from four players: guard Alex Barcello (22), forward Fousseyni Traore (14), forward Seneca Knight (14), and forward Gideon George (10). Seneca Knight’s performance made up for a slower game against the San Francisco Dons last week.
Portland have to know they’ll be fighting an uphill battle given the 19.50 point spread they are up against. However, those who like betting on the underdog should be happy to hear that they are 7-2 against the spread when expected to lose.
Portland’s defeat took them down to 10-8 while Brigham Young’s victory pulled them up to 16-4. In Brigham Young’s win, Knight had 14 points along with five boards and Fousseyni Traore posted a double-double on 14 points and 11 rebounds. We’ll see if the Pilots have a strategy for dealing with them or if they lead their team to another successful outing.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Marriott Center — Provo, Utah
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Cougars are a big 19.5-point favorite against the Pilots, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Cougars as a 20-point favorite.
Brigham Young have won 11 out of their last 12 games against Portland.
- Feb 04, 2021 – Brigham Young 105 vs. Portland 60
- Jan 21, 2021 – Brigham Young 95 vs. Portland 67
- Feb 06, 2020 – Brigham Young 85 vs. Portland 54
- Jan 11, 2020 – Brigham Young 96 vs. Portland 70
- Feb 07, 2019 – Brigham Young 83 vs. Portland 48
- Jan 10, 2019 – Brigham Young 79 vs. Portland 56
- Feb 22, 2018 – Brigham Young 72 vs. Portland 60
- Dec 28, 2017 – Brigham Young 69 vs. Portland 45
- Feb 23, 2017 – Brigham Young 97 vs. Portland 78
- Feb 04, 2017 – Brigham Young 73 vs. Portland 62
- Feb 25, 2016 – Brigham Young 99 vs. Portland 81
- Jan 16, 2016 – Portland 84 vs. Brigham Young 81
Injury Report for Brigham Young
- Richard Harward: Out for the Season (Illness)
- Gavin Baxter: Out for the Season (Knee)
Injury Report for Portland
- Jack Perry: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Moses Wood: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)