Despite a quick turnaround from last summer’s Tokyo Olympics, and significant international controversy concerning its host nation, the Beijing Olympics have opened to mark the return of the Winter Olympics. After Day 1’s opening ceremony, Day 2 marked the beginning of play with skating, skiing, and curling competition in both men’s and women’s classes.
Despite a diplomatic boycott of this year’s Olympics, the United States is competing as a nation in multiple Day 2 events. Team USA will go up against China as well as Canada in mixed doubles curling, and the United States’ women’s hockey team will face the Russian Olympic Committee in the preliminary round. Other events include men’s and women’s ski jumping and speed skating.
Day 2: Feb. 5
(All times eastern)
- Men’s ski jumping normal hill qualification – 12:15 a.m.
- Mixed doubles curling, USA vs. China – 1 a.m.
- Women’s speed skating, 3000m medal final – 3:30 a.m.
- Women’s ski jumping medal final – 4:45 a.m.
- Speed skating – women’s 500m heats, men’s 1,000m heats – 6 a.m.
- Mixed doubles curling – USA vs. Canada 7 a.m.
- Speed skating – Mixed team relay final – 8 a.m.
- Women’s hockey prelims – USA vs. Russian Olympic Committee – 8 a.m.
- Women’s ski jumping, normal hill final – 1 p.m.