Memphis @ Houston
Current Records: Memphis 13-8; Houston 20-3
What to Know
The #6 Houston Cougars won both of their matches against the Memphis Tigers last season (67-64 and 76-74) and are aiming for the same result Saturday. Houston and Memphis will face off in an American Athletic battle at 3:30 p.m. ET at Fertitta Center. The Cougars are out to keep their 12-game home win streak alive.
It was close but no cigar for Houston as they fell 85-83 to the SMU Mustangs on Wednesday. Houston didn’t live up to their potential and found themselves falling short of the 7.5-point advantage oddsmakers thought they had coming into the game. Their defeat shouldn’t obscure the performances of guard Taze Moore, who had 17 points, and guard Kyler Edwards, who had 17 points.
Meanwhile, the Tulane Green Wave typically have all the answers at home, but on Wednesday Memphis proved too difficult a challenge. The Tigers enjoyed a cozy 80-69 win over the Green Wave. Memphis got double-digit scores from four players: center Jalen Duren (15), forward DeAndre Williams (14), guard Tyler Harris (14), and guard Lester Quinones (11).
The Cougars are now 20-3 while Memphis sits at 13-8. A couple stats to keep an eye on: Houston ranks 16th in college basketball when it comes to blocked shots per game, with 5.4 on average. But Memphis is even better: they come into the contest boasting the third most blocked shots per game in college basketball at 6.3. Points in the paint might be hard to come by.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET
- Where: Fertitta Center — Houston, Texas
- TV: ABC
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $43.45
The Cougars are a big 9.5-point favorite against the Tigers, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 9.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Houston have won seven out of their last ten games against Memphis.
- Mar 13, 2021 – Houston 76 vs. Memphis 74
- Mar 07, 2021 – Houston 67 vs. Memphis 64
- Mar 08, 2020 – Houston 64 vs. Memphis 57
- Feb 22, 2020 – Memphis 60 vs. Houston 59
- Mar 16, 2019 – Houston 61 vs. Memphis 58
- Jan 06, 2019 – Houston 90 vs. Memphis 77
- Feb 22, 2018 – Memphis 91 vs. Houston 85
- Feb 26, 2017 – Houston 72 vs. Memphis 71
- Jan 19, 2017 – Memphis 70 vs. Houston 67
- Feb 10, 2016 – Houston 98 vs. Memphis 90
Injury Report for Houston
- Marcus Sasser: Out for the Season (Toe)
- Tramon Mark: Out for the Season (Shoulder)
- Kiyron Powell: Out for the Season (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for Memphis
- Emoni Bates: Game-Time Decision (Back)
- John Camden: Out (Foot)