Pittsburgh @ North Carolina
Current Records: Pittsburgh 10-16; North Carolina 18-7
What to Know
The North Carolina Tar Heels are 7-2 against the Pittsburgh Panthers since February of 2016, and they’ll have a chance to extend that success on Wednesday. UNC and Pitt will face off in an ACC battle at 8 p.m. ET at Dean E. Smith Center. The Tar Heels are the favorite in this one, with an expected 13.5-point margin of victory.
Everything went UNC’s way against the Florida State Seminoles on Saturday as they made off with a 94-74 win. Four players on UNC scored in the double digits: guard Caleb Love (18), forward Armando Bacot (17), guard RJ Davis (16), and forward Brady Manek (16). Manek hadn’t helped his team much against the Clemson Tigers last week, so this was a nice turnaround for him.
Meanwhile, Pitt came out on top in a nail-biter against the NC State Wolfpack on Saturday, sneaking past 71-69. Forward John Hugley was the offensive standout of the game for the Panthers, posting a double-double on 21 points and ten boards in addition to six dimes.
The wins brought the Tar Heels up to 18-7 and Pitt to 10-16. A couple numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: UNC is 352nd worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 9.8 on average. Pitts have had an even harder time: they are stumbling into the contest with the 16th fewest takeaways in college basketball, having accrued only 10.5 on average. It’s possible one of these Achilles’ heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Dean E. Smith Center — Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- TV: ACC Network
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $7.00
The Tar Heels are a big 13.5-point favorite against the Panthers, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Tar Heels as a 14-point favorite.
North Carolina have won seven out of their last nine games against Pittsburgh.
- Jan 26, 2021 – North Carolina 75 vs. Pittsburgh 65
- Jan 18, 2020 – Pittsburgh 66 vs. North Carolina 52
- Jan 08, 2020 – Pittsburgh 73 vs. North Carolina 65
- Jan 05, 2019 – North Carolina 85 vs. Pittsburgh 60
- Feb 03, 2018 – North Carolina 96 vs. Pittsburgh 65
- Feb 25, 2017 – North Carolina 85 vs. Pittsburgh 67
- Jan 31, 2017 – North Carolina 80 vs. Pittsburgh 78
- Mar 10, 2016 – North Carolina 88 vs. Pittsburgh 71
- Feb 14, 2016 – North Carolina 85 vs. Pittsburgh 64
Injury Report for North Carolina
- Anthony Harris: Out for the Season (Undisclosed)
- Dawson Garcia: Out for the Season (Personal)
Injury Report for Pittsburgh
- Nike Sibande: Out for the Season (Knee)