Connecticut @ Villanova
Regular Season Records: Connecticut 23-8; Villanova 24-7
What to Know
The #8 Villanova Wildcats and the #20 Connecticut Huskies are set to clash at 9 p.m. ET March 11 at Madison Square Garden in the third round of the Big East Conference Tourney. The Wildcats will be seeking to avenge the 71-69 loss they suffered the last time these two teams played February 22nd.
Villanova escaped with a win on Thursday against the St. John’s Red Storm by the margin of a single free throw, 66-65. Villanova’s guard Caleb Daniels filled up the stat sheet, shooting 5-for-9 from downtown and finishing with 19 points and seven rebounds.
Meanwhile, the Huskies earned some postseason bragging rights after a successful outing on Thursday. They beat the Seton Hall Pirates 62-52. The top scorers for UConn were guard R.J. Cole (17 points) and guard Tyrese Martin (17 points).
Barring any buzzer beaters, Villanova is expected to win a tight contest on Friday. Those playing the odds have seen things go back and forth with Villanova, who are 15-14-2 against the spread.
A couple defensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: The Wildcats rank 34th in college basketball when it comes to points allowed per game, with only 63.7 on average. As for the Huskies, they have been holding their opponents to a field goal percentage of 40%, which places them 29th in college basketball.
How To Watch
- When: Friday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Madison Square Garden — New York, New York
- TV: Fox Sports 1
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Wildcats are a slight 2.5-point favorite against the Huskies, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Wildcats as a 3.5-point favorite.
Villanova have won five out of their last six games against Connecticut.
- Feb 22, 2022 – Connecticut 71 vs. Villanova 69
- Feb 05, 2022 – Villanova 85 vs. Connecticut 74
- Feb 20, 2021 – Villanova 68 vs. Connecticut 60
- Jan 18, 2020 – Villanova 61 vs. Connecticut 55
- Dec 22, 2018 – Villanova 81 vs. Connecticut 58
- Jan 20, 2018 – Villanova 81 vs. Connecticut 61
Injury Report for Villanova
- Jermaine Samuels: Game-Time Decision (Back)
- Eric Dixon: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Nnanna Njoku: Game-Time Decision (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for Connecticut
- Jordan Hawkins: Out (Concussion)
- Corey Floyd Jr.: Out (Not Injury Related)