Major League Baseball’s opening week of the 2022 season is finally here. Opening Day in baseball is less than 36 hours away. Eighteen of the 30 MLB teams will be in action Thursday, and the remaining 12 teams get things going on Friday, April 8. For the first time ever, there will be a 12-team playoff field in 2022, s the largest postseason field ever in a full season.
In theory, at least, that should mean more teams than ever realistically have a chance at winning the pennant heading into Opening Day.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the 2022 Opening Day schedule.
MLB Opening Day schedule
(All times Eastern)
Thursday, April 7
- Yankees vs. Red Sox, 1:05 p.m.
- Cubs vs. Brewers, 2:20 p.m.
- Nationals vs. Mets, 4:05 p.m.
- Royals vs. Guardians, 4:10 p.m.
- Twins vs. Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
- Cardinals vs. Pirates, 4:15 p.m.
- Braves vs. Reds, 8:08 p.m.
- Angels vs. Astros, 9:38 p.m.
- D-Backs vs. Padres, 9:40 p.m.
Friday, April 8
- Tigers vs. White Sox, 1:10 p.m.
- Phillies vs. Athletics, 3:05 p.m.
- Rays vs. Orioles, 3:10 p.m.
- Rockies vs. Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
- Giants vs. Marlins, 4:35 p.m.
- Blue Jays vs. Rangers, 7:07 p.m.
Opening Day also brings some terrific, ace vs. ace pitching matchups. The Opening Day starter role is coveted among starting pitchers and has been for decades. By no means does it really define anything predictive moving forward, but it’s an honor. Here’s the all-time leaderboard for Opening Day starts:
- Tom Seaver: 16
- Steve Carlton: 14
Jack Morris: 14
Randy Johnson: 14
Walter Johnson: 14
And now here’s who will get the ball for their teams to start 2022.
2022 Opening Day starting pitcher tracker
Opening Day starting pitchers