Major League Baseball’s Opening Day is finally here. The 2022 season will get underway Thursday afternoon, as the Cubs and Brewers kick off a seven-game slate. There were originally nine games on Thursday’s schedule, but two of those games — Yankees vs. Red Sox (originally set to be the first game of the 2022 MLB season) and Twins vs. Mariners — have been postponed due to inclement weather. Both of those games were moved to Friday, when 16 teams will now play their openers.
For the first time ever, there will be a 12-team playoff field in 2022, s the largest postseason field ever in a full season. In theory, at least, that should mean more teams than ever realistically have a chance at winning the pennant heading into Opening Day.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the 2022 Opening Day schedule.
2022 MLB Opening Day schedule
(All times Eastern)
Thursday, April 7
- Cubs vs. Brewers, 2:20 p.m.
- Nationals vs. Mets, 4:05 p.m.
- Royals vs. Guardians, 4:10 p.m.
- Cardinals vs. Pirates, 4:15 p.m.
- Braves vs. Reds, 8:08 p.m.
- Angels vs. Astros, 9:38 p.m.
- D-Backs vs. Padres, 9:40 p.m.
Friday, April 8
- Yankees vs. Red Sox, 1:05 p.m. (originally scheduled for Thursday)
- Tigers vs. White Sox, 1:10 p.m.
- Phillies vs. Athletics, 3:05 p.m.
- Rays vs. Orioles, 3:10 p.m.
- Twins vs. Mariners, 4:10 p.m. (originally scheduled for Thursday)
- Rockies vs. Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
- Giants vs. Marlins, 4:35 p.m.
- Blue Jays vs. Rangers, 7:07 p.m.
Opening Day also brings some terrific, ace vs. ace pitching matchups. The Opening Day starter role is coveted among starting pitchers and has been for decades. By no means does it really define anything predictive moving forward, but it’s an honor. Here’s the all-time leaderboard for Opening Day starts:
- Tom Seaver: 16
- Steve Carlton: 14
Jack Morris: 14
Randy Johnson: 14
Walter Johnson: 14
And now here’s who will get the ball for their teams to start 2022.
2022 Opening Day starting pitcher tracker
Opening Day starting pitchers