CONMEBOL suspends Copa America in Argentina


The Copa America is without a host country only two weeks before kickoff after South American soccer federation CONMEBOL ruled out Argentina amid the rise of COVID-19 cases in the country.

CONMEBOL said Sunday night on Twitter — and it was later confirmed by an official — that it was analyzing “the offer of other nations who showed interest in hosting the continental tournament,” without naming them.

Copa America is scheduled to be played from June 13 to July 10.

Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)

Argentina is facing a surge of coronavirus infections, with strict lockdown measures imposed last weekend amid a seven-day average of 35,000 cases and 500 deaths.

Colombia was dropped as a tournament co-host on May 20 amid a wave of protests against President Ivan Duque.

CONMEBOL also said a new host will be announced “soon.”

Argentinian President Alberto Fernandez said last week his country was ready to host the entire tournament after the decision to remove Colombia from the organization.





Source link

4 thoughts on “CONMEBOL suspends Copa America in Argentina

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *