Pitchers on your softball team need a place to practice too. These indoor and outdoor mats allow pitchers to get in their much-needed practice. In fact, even the famous Jennie Finch has her very own line of mats!
A mat designed to help players’ pitching skills is by far one of the best training aids for softball players, and for all ages too. They are made from high-quality, spike-resistant and durable artificial turf and built to meet regulation standards.
What to Look for in a Softball Pitching Mats
A few years ago, you would have never been able to find the same variety that you can today. That being said, you must know what to look for so that you are not paying for a name, but instead for the highest quality. With so many types and brands available, it is important to know which key features will matter and actually improve your pitcher’s game, without sacrificing safety. These key features include:
- Consistency – You want a mat that features a smooth, consistent surface. When it is rolled out in place, there should be no lumps in the surface or ridges.
- Inlaid Turf – This will ensure that the turf does not fade or chip like paint. It also means that your mat will last longer.
- Rubber Bottom – This is the most important pitching mat. If you are planning to use your mat indoors or even on a dirt surface, you want a rubber bottom that keeps it in place and prevents slippage while the player is moving on top. You might also want to ensure that the rubber is fused to the backing of the mat itself so that it will not separate after any frequent use.
- Spike Resistance – Since your players will be wearing their spikes while practicing on the mat, you want one that is spike-resistant and will not tear.
- Portability – This is critical if you plan to move it around; you should be able to carry it easily. You want something very lightweight (can be lifted and transported by just one player) and one that can roll up and store with ease. Most of the higher end models will come with their own carrying bag.
If your league is not taking advantage of pitch mats, now is the time. With a full line to choose from, you can easily find one to suit your budget and players’ needs.