Hamilton recovers two onside kicks in final two minutes to shock Bishop Gorman with 18-point comeback win

Getty Images

Hamilton (Ariz.) shocked powerhouse Bishop Gorman (Nev.) on Friday, converting two onside kicks within the last 70 seconds to secure a 18-point comeback victory in a nationally televised high school matchup. Bishop Gorman (3-1) came into the ESPNU-aired high school game ranked seventh nationally and undefeated before falling, 25-24, to Hamilton (3-0). 

Quarterback Nicco Marchiol, who reportedly played “sick” and “beat up” throughout the game, tossed a two-yard touchdown to tight end Michael Masunas to trim Bishop Gorman’s lead to seven with 30 seconds remaining. Kicker Jacob Medina converted a field goal and his first onside kick prior to that score. 

Medina continued his magic with a second-consecutive onside kick conversion after the Marchiol-to-Masunas endzone connection. 

“We’ve been working on those all season,” Medina said of the onside kicks. “We knew it was going to come down to a big game in one of these games.”

Once Hamilton got the ball back, Marchiol — a senior and West Virginia commit — drove the team 48 yards down the field and fired a 22-yard dart to sophomore running back Nick Switzer for six points. Hamilton then trailed by one, 24-23, with eight seconds left. 

Hamilton could’ve played for overtime in such a high-stakes, nationally-televised game against one of the nation’s 10 best teams. But the Huskies went for the jugular instead. 

“We weren’t about to go to overtime,” Hamilton coach Mike Zdebski said. 

And Marchiol wasn’t about to let his team get a loss. On the two-point conversion, the four-star quarterback corralled a shotgun snap then dashed through the end line to give his team a one-point victory. Marchiol was so sick he didn’t have the energy to celebrate after his run and the shocking upset, instead heading for the locker room. 

“He’s a tough dude,” Zdebski said of Marchiol. “He knows how to finish.” 

The entire Hamilton team showed its knack for finishing in what amounted to be one of the most shocking upsets in high school football history. 

Source link