MLS 2020 season: League opens door for potential June return following coronavirus shutdown


Major League Soccer is expected to announce that the 2020 season will be postponed until at least June 8, sources tell CBS Sports. This comes as the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in the suspension of every major professional soccer league around the world. Sources tell CBS Sports that the league is hopeful of resuming play in June. 

On Wednesday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the federal government’s top infectious disease expert, said that sports could come back this summer in empty stadiums as long as certain measures are taken. President Donald Trump named MLS commissioner Don Garber, along with other major sports commissioners and leaders, to an advisory panel that will help the federal government reopen the country and resuscitate the economy amid the pandemic. Garber was also included in Trump’s call with various sports commissioners on April 4.

The 2020 Major League Soccer season has seen all teams play just two matches before measures were taken to suspend national and regional competitions. Earlier in the week, MLS released a statement saying a mid-May return was unlikely.

Garber said earlier this week that the league is exploring alternative formats to complete this upcoming season. 

“From tournament formats and neutral locations, ultimately playing an abridged regular season, but doing everything to get as many games,” Garber told ESPN.  

Although the league is hopeful of a June restart, a general manager and a coach told CBS Sports that they don’t see how the season could resume without overcoming some of the obvious hurdles such as consistent testing, ensured safety and lifted bans of gatherings. 

The U.S. currently has more positive COVID-19 cases and deaths than any other country in the world. 





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *